TACC Summer Supercomputing Institute
Monday, August 1 to Friday, August 5, 2016
TACC's Summer Supercomputing Institute is a week-long workshop which introduces researchers, faculty, staff, students, and industrial partners to high performance computing, data analytics, and scientific visualization. TACC's technology experts will teach attendees how to effectively use advanced computing resources and technologies like Stampede, Maverick, and Wrangler.
The Summer Supercomputing Institute is appropriate for all skill levels, from new users of advanced computing technologies to those who have research projects requiring powerful computing, visualization, storage, or software capabilities. We encourage participation from Minority Serving Institutions, Hispanic Serving Institutions, and Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
What to Expect
Topics Covered: TACC staff will deliver presentations and lead interactive laboratory sessions covering various topics in advanced computation, including:
- Obtaining access to TACC resources and services
- Reviewing the hardware and software available on TACC resources
- Developing parallel programs with OpenMP and MPI
- Using visualization and data analysis software and systems
- Programming techniques and best practices for many-core architectures
- High Performance Big Data analysis using tools such as Python, R and Hadoop/Spark
- Analyzing and optimizing application performance
- Debugging parallel applications
Parallel Tracks: This year the Institute will have two parallel tracks. Track 1 will be focused on developing parallel applications, performance optimization, and debugging. Track 2 will be focused on data analysis and scientific visualization. Download the Agenda for more details.
Plenary Talks: TACC researchers and partners will speak about the newest research projects in distributed cyberinfrastructure, cloud computing, and processor development.
Consulting: TACC staff will be available during the Institute to assist participants in applying the techniques and technologies covered in the Institute to their own applications.
Machine Room Tours: TACC staff will provide attendees an opportunity to view some of the most cutting-edge and powerful advanced computing systems in the world, including Stampede (the number 10 system in the world according to the Top500), Wrangler (world's first large-scale deployment of DSSD NAND-flash object storage), and Hikari (first academic supercomputer powered by high-voltage direct current and photovoltaic solar panels).
Attending the Institute
Applications to attend the Institute must be submitted by May 15, 2016. Applicants will receive notification of the status of their application by Monday, June 13, 2016. Applicants must have a TACC User Portal account in order to attend.
Applying to Attend
If you would like to apply to attend the TACC Summer Supercomputing Institute, send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Phone Number
- Interest in Track1: Parallel Applications Development or Track2: Data Analysis and Visualization (you are free to move between tracks)
- Have you used advanced computing in the past (Y/N)?
- Field of Study
- Highest Degree and Year Received
- Why do you want to attend SSI?
- TACC User Portal ID (if you already have one)
Fee for Accepted Applicants
A fee of $200 is due by Monday, June 27, 2016, for accepted applicants. The fee covers lunch, snacks, and course materials.
Accepted applicants needing to cancel must do so by Monday, July 11, 2016, in order to receive a refund.
Attendees traveling to the Institute are responsible for arranging and paying for their own travel, daily expenses, and hotel accommodations. Accepted applicants will receive a list of suggested hotels.
For more information about the TACC Summer Supercomputing Institute, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications close on: May 15, 2016
- Notifications of acceptance sent by: June 13, 2016
- Registration fees to be submitted by: June 27, 2016
- Request for cancellations with refund to be made by: July 11, 2016